Sexual activity without consent is sexual violence. Consent is the voluntary agreement to engage in sexual activity with another person. Consent cannot be obtained when:
- someone other than the complainant has expressed consent
- the complainant is incapable of consenting to the activity
- the accused obtains consent by abusing a position of trust, power or authority
- the complainant expresses a lack of agreement to engage in the activity by words or conduct
- the complainant initially consents to engage in sexual activity but expresses a lack of agreement to continue(Criminal Code of Canada)
WHAT IS CONSENT CULTURE?
A culture in which the prevailing narrative of sex is centered on mutual consent. It is a culture that does not force anyone into anything, respects bodily autonomy and is based on the belief that a person is always the best judge of their own wants and needs. Consent to any activity is ongoing, freely given, informed and enthusiastic.
See the Canadian Federation of Students Campaign Building A Consent Culture on Campus
See getconsent.ca by the Canadian Women’s Foundation
Below: Planned Parenthood Video, How Do You Know if Someone Wants to Have Sex with You?